Monday, January 11, 2010

Lettuce Wrap Lunch


Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a great holiday season and the first weeks of the new year have been treating you right. My trip to Hawaii was great! We went scuba diving, hiking, and got to see Humpback whales. I'll post some food-related photos from the cruise in a few days or so.

Of course, I at waaay too much, so I'm trying very hard to be super healthy now that I'm home. I've been enjoying a lot of fish, but then I looked up the mercury content of what I had been eating--and discovered I had eaten the monthly recommended limit in three days.

Some days I feel like you can't win with food. Fish has mercury, soy can disrupt your hormone balance, meat is bad for your arteries, fruits and veggies are contaminated with pesticides....

Right now, Mr. Toro is in Kuwait (poor thing had to jump on a plane the day after we got back home), so today's lunch is mine. I made some chicken-mushroom lettuce wraps. They were super easy and turned out really tasty, even if they don't look terribly pretty.

Per serving:
4 oz. chicken breast
~1 cup crimini mushrooms
1 can water chestnuts
~1/2 cup cabbage

Cut all ingredients into a small dice. Cook until chicken is done and mushrooms have lost most of their water. Add in 1/4 cup dry sherry or sake or rice wine and 2T soy sauce and stir fry until mostly dry. Serve in lettuce leaves (I used romaine). You can serve with your choice of sauces as well--soya, thai peanut, and garlic chili would all be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment