Sunday, November 1, 2009

Flying Fish


So, after flying to Virginia last Monday, and back to California Friday, Mr. Toro is back on a plane to Virgina today for another conference. Crazy! So, today's Bento is another airline special--a good lunch for the cross-country trip.

Inside the bento is an assortment of home-made sushi, accompanied by some edamame, chicken and veggie potstickers, and seaweed salad.

The sushi selection includes tamago-yaki, California rolls, salmon, black cod in eel sauce, and albacore.

This is my first time making sushi attempting to buy only sustainable fish. Admittedly, it was hard passing up my favorites (tuna and yellowtail) but the store only had those from ecologically unsound sources. The end result was still mighty tasty, and I'm happy with myself.

4 comments:

  1. Wow he will have the coolest lunch on the plane! Your sushi rolls are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I like to send him off with a little bit of love:) Flying cross-country can be a chore, and it's even more miserable now that they charge you for those pathetic sandwiches.

    I taught myself how to roll sushi with a couple books, watching at the sushi bar, and a lot of trial and error. I can't quite get the knack of inside-out rolls just yet (which is why my Cali rolls are nori-on-the-outside).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bento, everything looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, as always for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete