Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yippie-yai-yay Mini Burgers


Tomorrow's lunch is a pair of mini burgers topped with turkey bacon, lettuce, and golden heirloom tomato.

On the side are a collection of hand-cut sweet potato fries, a dish of organic cottage cheese, some more of those purplish cherry tomatoes from the farmers' market, and a couple of bleu cheese stuffed olives.

The mini burgers are made with grass-fed pastured beef from a small family farm in Northern California, the Lazy 69 Ranch

I ordered from this farm in the not too distant past and am beyond thrilled. I had been doing some reading on the health benefits of grass-fed beef, and went looking for a semi-local farm from which to order when I came across L69. Not only is it healthier than your standard supermarket grain feed beef, it is, in my opinion, much better tasting. Add in the benefits of spending my money supporting small farmers instead of feed lot producers, and I couldn't be happier. (Note: I don't have any relationship with this producer other than being a happy customer).

The sweet potato fries were sprayed with a little cooking spray, then baked at 350F for around 40-45 minutes. They're sweet and delicious, easy to make, and, according to a group of nutritionists, they are the most nutritious vegetable available. Win / win! I give mine a little sprinkle of sea salt when they're hot out of the oven, but Mr. Toro prefers them straight up.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I love it every time I hear someone say how good Sweet Potato is for you because it is my favorite food on the planet :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    Sweet potatoes are coming into season here and seem extra tasty and delicious--sweeter and fresher somehow.

    ReplyDelete