Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Invisible Bento

For today's lunch, for a Halloween theme, is an Invisible Bento!








Okay, okay, I inadvertently deleted the photo before posting :)

Today's lunch is a fillet of pistachio-crusted Halibut on mashed sweet potatoes with a side of roasted asparagus.

I tossed a half-ounce of pistachios per 6 oz. fillet into a food processor. The fish then got a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper before a quick dip into a beaten egg (you could just press the fish in the nuts if you want to avoid eggs...the crust probably won't stick as thickly, but same idea), then a roll in the nuts. These got seared 3 minutes a side on the stovetop, then tossed into the oven at 400 F for another 10 minutes.

I tossed the asparagus on the side of the pan when I put the fish in the oven--the spears were nice and thin, so a 10 minute roast was perfect.

I made the sweet potatoes completely without fat--I 'baked' them in the microwave, then mashed them with a masher and a little water to loosen them up. Just a touch of cinnamon brought out their natural sweetness.

It was beautiful...I swear ;)

2 comments: