Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Farm-Fresh Tomato Salad


Every Tuesday, the local outdoor mall closes its center street to traffic and hosts a farmer's market. The market itself is okay--not enough fruit and vegetable vendors, and too many people selling assorted wares in my opinion--but it is walking distance from my house, so I look forward to walking through the market every week.

As Mr. Toro and I were walking through yesterday evening, I spotted a table with mounds of absolutely beautiful heirloom tomatoes. I love tomatoes, so I could not resist, and bought several varieties.

For dinner, these beauties were simply cut into wedges, then tossed with olives and thin rings of red onion, then garnished with ripe avocado, fresh mozzarella, and shaved Parmesan cheese, and finally dressed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.

It was a great way to let the fresh sweetness of the tomatoes stand out with some accent.

We ate dinner on the patio with a glass of white wine as the sun was setting--it was a great summer evening.

Tomorrow's Bento is the same salad as dinner, tucked into a box with just a little more structure than the dinner plate. Originally, I planned to make some sort of cute design using the fresh mozzarella balls, but I liked the way it looked too much to fuss with it. Perhaps next time....

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tomato salad! Looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love farmers' markets! Tomatoes at the grocery have zero flavor, but these were amazing. I'm glad I got an assortment--they had different flavors and textures, and were so pretty!

    ReplyDelete