Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Soup's on


Last night I made a multi-bean, lentil, veggie, and ham soup; it was a perfect busy-day meal--everything got tossed into the crock pot in the morning, and presto! dinner was waiting when I got home.

I don't have any bento boxes suitable for soup--all of mine are the loose-lidded variety, so today's bento is just packaged in a Ziplock container.

I added some parsley for color--unfortunately, despite the great flavor, this soup leaves a little to be desired, visually speaking. I think, perhaps, some carrots might have lended a bit of pop as well, but too late now:)

Finals are coming up in a week and a half--and I'm definately starting to stress out already. If you're not familiar with law school exams, a person's entire grade for the semester is based solely on the final exam. The test for each class is usually 3 1/2 to 4 hours long, and you usually need every second (and sometimes then some). I find bento-making to be great stress relief--I like to take the 10-30 minutes every evening to arrange them. I think it's a little bit zen, trying to find the ideal relationship between elements, or just plain fun when putting together the charaben-style bentos.

Thanks again to all my new visitors and commentors--I hope you keep visiting and participating!

Happy Bentoing!

2 comments:

  1. That soup looks great. Do you mind sharing the recipe? If not, no worries...it just looked so yummy that I had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I'm always happy to share recipes...I think the joy of cooking comes from sharing.

    I would love to tell you I whipped this one up from scratch, but, alas, I can't. The soup is actually made from a mix I purchased at Honeybaked Ham when I got my Easter ham. You add the mix to the bone that's left when you're done with the spiral cut ham (there's a good chunk of meat still on the bone at this point) and simmer away.

    I think if you were really interested, you could buy the mix from them in store or online (even sans ham) and use a different ham or stew bone or even just a base of stock to cook it up.

    Otherwise, it looked to be a mix of dried kidney, pinto, and northern beans with lentils and split peas. There was also a small amount of dried veggies, including carrots and potatoes, as well as a seasoning packet. Perhaps there might be a similar mix at the market?

    ReplyDelete