Thursday, April 30, 2009

Presto Pasta Bento


Another quick and easy lunch day! Today is another bento made from leftovers...shell shaped pasta with tomato and meat sauce. Little bundles of carrots are in the corners for color, and in the center is a heart-shaped dusting of Parmesan cheese.

Mr. Toro reacts about the same as a seven year old child when it comes to vegetables, so I've taken to being sneaky about adding them to my cooking.

While I just used jarred pasta sauce for a quick weeknight meal, I added finely chopped zucchini, onion, bell pepper, cauliflower, and grated carrots to the sauce. I saute the veggies to evaporate some of the moisture, then add to the browned lean ground beef and sauce.

In addition to the health benefits of more veggies, it's also great on the pocket book--you can use less beef and still have a hearty sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I also put veggies in my spaghetti sauce - it's just a nice way to make it more hearty as you said.

    I love the carrot bundles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I boiled a couple strands of thin spaghetti when I cooked the shells to use for tying the carrots.

    ReplyDelete