Thursday, April 9, 2009

mmm...Miso, Mushrooms, and Mochi

Today's lunch: leftover miso marinated chicken (which was fabulous for dinner last night, if I do say so myself) with rice and steamed zucchini and a garnish of enoki mushrooms.

For dessert: apples, strawberries, and mandarin segments, along with a lychee mochi. I've never tried mochi before, so we'll see after I eat whether or not they stay on the lunch box list.

I stopped by the giant Asian market near school after class to get the miso paste for the marinade (which also contained fresh ginger, sake, and brown sugar), and couldn't help but stop by the sweets aisle--there are always so many colorful and unusual treats. I saw rows of fruit mochi, and figured, 'why not.'

Mochi is glutinous rice which is pounded into a paste. The paste is often then molded into shapes and filled with something sweet. The store had dozens of varieties; I went with lychee for something a little exotic, but still in my past taste experience. We'll see how I like these treats after lunch.

2 comments:

  1. How did you like the mochi? I've only tried green tea and the sweet red bean paste ones and I haven't been a fan. =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Misty! Thanks for stopping by.

    I'm really torn on the mochi...I think I need to have one or two more flavors to really figure it out. I like the flavor of the mochi, I think--I'm a big fan of Thai coconut rice as a dessert, and it has a similar flavor, though the texture is smooth. But I think it's just so different than most sweets I'm used to having that I'm going to have to try some more to really decide.

    ReplyDelete