Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Chirashi-sushi


Today's lunch is a chirashi-sushi box. It's a base of sushi rice with toppings (chirashi means 'scattered'). It's quicker than making nigiri sushi pieces or rolls, so it's definitely more suited to a weekday meal. It also is a little more 'fun' than nigiri, in my opinion, because you can combine tastes of several toppings in one bite, a reason I generally prefer rolls.

On the top, clockwise from the upper left: mushrooms, spicy tuna, avocado, smoked salmon, yellowtail with green onion garnish, masago, tamago-yaki, and ahi tuna with carrot hearts.

Dessert is a mix of apple slices, mandarain orange segments, and strawberries.

I know some people are squeamish about making their own sushi, but as long as you get sashimi grade fish from a good source and keep it cold, I don't see much of a difference from eating it at a restaurant. I don't have the knife skills of a master, but it's not too hard to put out a reasonable product...and DIY sushi is definitely easier on the pocketbook.

Here in San Diego, there's an amazing wholesaler who supplies most of the sushi bars in town, but still sells to the public. Catalina Offshore Products (http://www.catalinaop.com/) is just around the corner from Old Town and has heavenly fish for really great prices. If you're not lucky enough to live within pickup distance, they fed-ex to all of the US...though the shipping may stink worse than old fish. Still, for the quality and the price, it might be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. They mght freeze the package before send it away ^^ Anyway, your Chirashi looks beautiful, I might try to do one for muyself, though in France my colleagues will definitely stares at my bento lunch if I bring homemade sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind compliments!

    My colleagues definitely look at me a little funny--most had never heard of bento before I started bringing them to lunch, and few consider sushi something one would make at home.

    May I ask where in France you live? My husband is from Switzerland (near Zurich) and I love to visit Europe. I've been to the French side of Switzerland (Geneva) but haven't yet been to France, though I hope to do so this summer.

    ReplyDelete